Gothic Beauty magazine!

Gothic Beauty Magazine

Sunday, 20 July 2014

Canning Cherries and chasing frogs out of the house!



So, if you're a twitter follower, or a Facebook follower for that matter, you know that the other day I was climbing up and down cherry trees at the local U Pick (y'know, after I dealt with the people who thought I was looking for drugs) getting cherries to preserve for winter.
Well, last night was the night. My mother pitted 18 pounds of Cherries by hand and it was time to get them put away before they rotted. Well, that took longer than I expected. Like all damn day. But that's actually okay because I like Canning way better than gardening, or making soap. Actually, making laundry soap isn't bad. But suiting up like you're going to treat smallpox patients and boiling vats of lye just isn't fun for me!
Once we had everything ready, the cherries went into the smaller canner, and we had to cook them with sugar to make a hot pack. we started with 7 quarts of cherries, but they cooked down to 5. I was highly disappointed, that was so much work! But we also got a can of Cherry juice out of it, so I guess that's where the volume went. After I was done helping with the Cherries, my brother was supposed to help make Watermelon Jelly. But, he's phobic of hot things. Hot water, Hot frying pans, Hot teapots, burning hot jars of canning just taken out of the canner. You name it, approach him with it he WILL run away. So I ended up doing that, too. I swear he's gonna have to be a city boy when he grows up or else get an extremely devoted wife, or be really really rich. In which case, I want a car.
This is not my picture, click on it to see the original site. This is what it looks like when The jars are all down in the canner. Will be posting my own pics soon. ^^

At about the second hour in, My mother said it was time for a break and we went out to the living room where the door and the windows were all open. I had only just sat down when I looked up and realized a little tree frog was all tangled in our window screen, which detaches from the window to be taken down for cleaning. Not only was he tangled but he had pulled it down and horseflies from the farm across the road were pouring in! Not a good thing when you're canning and trying to keep everything sanitary. So, I jumped up, de-tangled him, and shut the screen. He was so tiny, just a baby! So I, brilliant as I am (sarcastic sign) I turned around with the baby frog in my hand to show my mother, who rarely gets to see them as she can't jump up and run to the window whenever I yell that there's another one there. He was fine sitting on my hand, and fine with my voice. However, as soon as my mother spoke, it turned from a cute experience into froggy pandemonium. He hopped all over me, including up onto my face! Then he fell to the floor, and dissapeared underneath the TV. My mother was very upset, as Pacific Chorus tree frogs are poisonous to dogs, and Luther will literally put anything in his mouth including, once, a long dead mouse and another time, a poisonous snake. So there I was, in the middle of the night, screaming for my brother to come and help, bring the broom! Twenty minutes later, after stabbing under the TV with the broom, chasing him across the living room floor to underneath the other cabinet, stabbing under there and trapping him against the door, I had recovered one very scared and very dried out tree frog. So I took him to the kitchen, stuck him in a bowl of water, checked to make sure we hadn't broken anything trying to save him, gave him a moth that was sleeping on the cupboard, and put him back outside. Moral of the story; cute amphibians don't belong in your house. Today, We're not doing anything. I had 4 hours of sleep last night, so after this blog post, I'm going back to bed and will not be available for a few hours. Send me a message- how is your day going? tweet me @cheyenneleo18

Yes, crazy really does work.